3.31.2014

mythologically in earnest
...Thoreau's Journal: 31-Mar-1852

Methinks I would share every creature’s suffering for the sake of its experience and joy. The song sparrow and the transient fox-colored sparrow,—have they brought me no message this year? Do they go to lead heroic lives in Rupert’s Land? They are so small, I think their destinies must be large. Have I heard what this tiny passenger has to say, while it flits thus from tree to tree? Is not the coming of the fox-colored sparrow something more earnest and significant than I have dreamed of? Can I forgive myself if I let it go to Rupert’s Land before I have appreciated it? God did not make this world in jest; no, nor in indifference. These migrating sparrows all bear messages that concern my life. I do not pluck the fruits in their season. I love the birds and beasts because they are mythologically in earnest. I see that the sparrow cheeps and flits and sings adequately to the great design of the universe; that man does not communicate with it, understand its language, because he is not one with nature. I reproach myself because I have regarded with indifference the passage of the birds; I have thought them no better than I.

4 comments:

michael jameson said...

i believe many thinkers would share the suffering of the wild creatures to feel their joy, surly a pure feeling of happiness a wild creature must have,in such simple matters having none of the burdens placed upon man, but we must never know the thoughts and language of the wild,if known it might terrify us at how alike we are or shame us to know they enjoy life more,we might find out they are more intelligent,no ,we will continue to call them stupid beasts out of our own ignorance. michael jameson oldantiqueguy@hotmail.com

Bruce Hodder said...

Exquisite sensitive--and sensible--writing. Aahh, Henry!

T.S. said...

We cannot very well understand nature. We explain it instead with mythology, knowing that our mythology is not true. The mythology that makes birds sing may also be only mythology, but if not true the birds do not know that, so theirs is in earnest, and ours is not. The birds have much to teach us because they are in tune with nature at the fullest level of their capability, while we are not. We satisfy ourselves with things we know to be false.

michael jameson said...

i myself listen to the birds at the start of the day, it is like a party and as i listen i hear no anger no arguing,only the sound of joy,what kind of world are we missing where only joy can be heard. michael jameson oldantiqueguy@hotmail.com