6.27.2014

my Asia of serenity
...Thoreau's Journal: 27-Jun-1840

I am living this 27th of June, 1840, a dull, cloudy day and no sun shining. The clink of the smith’s hammer sounds feebly over the roofs, and the wind is sighing gently, as if dreaming of cheerfuler days. The farmer is plowing in yonder field, craftsmen are busy in the shops, the trader stand behind the counter, and all works go steadily forward. But I will have nothing to do; I will tell fortune that I will play no game with her, and she may reach me in my Asia of serenity and indolence if she can.

1 comment:

michael jameson said...

i will not become part of the machine!!!!!!nor will i take chances with luck when it comes to me!, i will make my own choices and deal with my own consequences!, in this i will find my serenity!. michael jameson oldantiqueguy@hotmail.com