5.08.2014

Anything but black clothes
...Thoreau's Journal: 08-May-1857

Within a week I have had made a pair of corduroy pants, which cost when done $1.60. They are of that peculiar clay-color, reflecting the light from portions of their surface. They have this advantage, that, beside being very strong, they will look about as well three months hence as now,—or as ill, some would say. Most of my friends are disturbed by my wearing them. I can get four or five pairs for what one ordinary pair would cost in Boston, and each of the former will last two or three times as long under the same circumstances. The tailor said that the stuff was not made in this country; that it was worn by the Irish at home, and now they would not look at it, but others would not wear it, durable and cheap as it is, because it is worn by the Irish. Moreover I like the color on other accounts. Anything but black clothes.

2 comments:

michael jameson said...

look like everyone else or you are an outcast! this is a lesson most of us dont realize is stupid till we are older!, i wear what is warm comfortable and cheap, made to last!, or i can buy very expensive ones that are cold and uncomfortable and dont wear well!but! the others are wearing them!, our friends wear them? do we want friends that judge us on our clothes? when we are young and stupid "yes" when we are older and wise "no" when you are young you will freeze and spend to have friends! even ones that judge us by our clothes! when we are old we want friends who judge us on who we are!, does anyone think i could write on this for hours?. michael jameson oldantiqueguy@hotmail.com

Beth said...

I made myself a wide-wale, olive green corduroy jacket and pants when I was in high school. Wore it for years, but to think of it now, I can't imagine how I ever figured out how to do it: cutting out a pattern, sewing on a machine, plus lots of hand sewing. It even had a lining! Makes me think I was considerably more gifted in high school than I am now. . .