8.19.2014

A thousand rills
...Thoreau's Journal: 19-Aug-1851

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live! Methinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow, as if I had given vent to the stream at the lower end and consequently new fountains flowed into it at the upper. A thousand rills which have their rise in the sources of thought burst forth and fertilize my brain. You need to increase the draught below, as the owners of meadows on Concord River say of the Billerica Dam. Only while we are in action is the circulation perfect. The writing which consists with habitual sitting is mechanical, wooden, dull to read.

4 comments:

Harry said...

"Methinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow" - I love this, and I experience it each morning when I set out on my walk. I'm happy to see you're still keeping up with this.

Allan Stellar said...

Thoreau was quite correct about this...

Funny, but it is easier to read Thoreau on this blog, than it is for me to pick up a book and read him.

Thanks for this blog!

son rivers said...

Harry, I'm happy keeping up with this as well.

Allan, You're welcome. But there is something to be said about reading the complete Journals as well. There's a wealth of great stuff that I haven't included.

michael jameson said...

to just sit and write,you have but your imagination to use! but to get up and experience you have inspiration and life to draw on for you works!. AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO MR SON RIVERS FROM ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WRITE ME WHO SHOULD BE THANKING HIM!,FOR IT IS HIS GIFT TO US!. michael jameson oldantiqueguy@hotmail.com